Manuel Pellegrini and Arsene Wenger have both seen their sides score 13 times in the 80th minute and onwards – some of which have had a crucial impact on where they sit in the league table as it stands.
Crucial late goals for Arsenal this season:
- 16 August – Aaron Ramsey vs. Crystal Palace (91st minute) to make it 2-1
- 23 August – Olivier Giroud vs. Everton (90th minute) to make it 2-2
- 18 October – Danny Welbeck vs. Hull City (91st minute) to make it 2-2
- 03 December – Alexis Sanchez vs. Southampton (89th minute) to make it 1-0
Crucial late goals for Manchester City this season:
- 13 September – Martin Demichelis vs. Arsenal (83rd minute) to make it 2-2
- 21 September – Frank Lampard vs. Chelsea (85th minute) to make it 1-1
- 08 November – Sergio Aguero vs. QPR (83rd minute) to make it 2-2
- 07 February – James Milner vs. Hull City (92nd minute) to make it 1-1
Despite Man City and Arsenal having scored more late goals than any other team, neither of them have rescued as many points as Tottenham have in the last few minutes of a game.
Spurs have made a habit of leaving it late to break the hearts of their opponents and have done so on seven occasions.Embed from Getty Images
Crucial late goals for Tottenham Hotspur this season:
- 16 August – Eric Dier vs. West Ham (93rd minute) to make it 1-0
- 02 November – Harry Kane vs. Aston Villa (90th minute) to make it 2-1
- 23 November – Christian Eriksen vs. Hull City (90th minute) to make it 2-1
- 14 December – Christian Eriksen vs. Swansea (89th minute) to make it 2-1
- 17 January – Christian Eriksen vs. Sunderland (88th minute) to make it 2-1
- 07 February – Harry Kane vs. Arsenal (86th minute) to make it 2-1
- 22 February – Harry Kane vs. West Ham (96th minute) to make it 2-2
Without these late goals, Tottenham would be a staggering 13 points worse off than their current overall tally of 53 which would see them down in 11th place with just 40 points – so the late saviours have been essential to Mauricio Pochettino‘s side this season.
Christian Eriksen and Harry Kane have both scored three times in the final moments of matches and it goes to show not only how unforgiving the Premier League can be, but also how entertaining it is with a remarkable 122 goals scored in the final ten minutes of all games.
It also begs the question of how many fans will have missed vital goals by leaving a game early?