Despite being quick out of the blocks this season, Fabregas has tailed off slightly and the assists have dried up with just two in his last seven league appearances.
The Spanish playmaker is now currently on 16 assists for the whole season and after his blistering start, Fabregas was tipped to break the all-time Premier League record for most assists in a campaign – a record currently held by Arsenal legend Thierry Henry.Embed from Getty Images
Henry laid on a monumental 20 goals for his teammates in the 2002/03 campaign and the closest anyone has come since was when Frank Lampard set-up 18 in the 2004/05 season while playing for Chelsea – Fabregas himself also recorded 17 assists in the 2007/08 season for Arsenal.
Most assists in a Premier League season:
- 2002/03: Thierry Henry (Arsenal) – 20
- 2004/05: Frank Lampard (Chelsea) – 18
- 2007/08: Cesc Fabregas (Arsenal) – 17
- 1992/93: Eric Cantona (Manchester United) – 16
- 2014/15: Cesc Fabregas (Chelsea) – 16*
With nine games remaining, Fabregas has got a little bit more work to do if he is to break the record and he’ll certainly need to pick up the pace once again.Embed from Getty Images
The 27 year old had already set-up six goals in his first four Premier League games, so if he can replicate that kind of form, then he certainly stands a great chance of becoming the record holder.
Chelsea’s remaining fixtures:
- 04 April – Stoke City (home)
- 12 April – QPR (away)
- 18 April – Manchester United (home)
- 26 April – Arsenal (away)
- 29 April – Leicester City (away)
- 02 May – Crystal Palace (home)
- 09 May – Liverpool (home)
- 16 May – West Brom (away)
- 24 May – Sunderland (home)