Steven Gerrard has played his final game for Liverpool after 28 years of loyal service and will now look ahead to his next adventure at MLS side LA Galaxy where he arrives as one of the most recognised figures in the game, looking to help the Galaxy win a record sixth MLS Cup title.
The 34-year-old has endured a career of ups and downs, which included turning down the opportunity to leave Liverpool on numerous occasions, instead opting to stay with his boyhood club.
Despite the success, Gerrard will always be disappointed that the Premier League title eluded him. The Reds came agonisingly close to winning the league in the 2013/14 season when a 2-0 defeat at home to Chelsea and a 3-3 draw away at Crystal Palace in the last few games of the season allowed Manchester City to swoop in and lift the crown.Embed from Getty Images
Gerrard has won seven major trophies in his career so far and here is a look at those honours:
- FA Cup (2) – 2001, 2006
- League Cup (3) – 2001, 2003, 2012
- UEFA Champions League (1) – 2005
- Europa League (1) – 2001
Notable individual awards:
- PFA Young Player of the Year (1) – 2001
- PFA Team of the Year (8) – 2001, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2014
- Ballon D’Or Bronze (1) – 2005
- UEFA Club Footballer of the Year (1) – 2005
- PFA Players’ Player of the Year (1) – 2006
- UEFA Team of the Year (3) – 2005, 2006, 2007
- Liverpool Top Goalscorer (4) – 2004/05, 2005/06, 2008/09, 2014/15
The highlight of Gerrard’s career will most likely be the incredible 2005 Champions League final triumph in Istanbul after Liverpool came from three goals down against AC Milan to tie the game 3-3 before winning on penalties.
The Liverpool captain hasn’t claimed a wide array of club and indivdual awards without earning them, having scored 120 goals in 504 league appearances, with 186 goals from 708 appearances in all competitions. Gerrard also captained the England national team, making 114 appearances and scoring 21 goals for his country.
How good will Steven Gerrard be for LA Galaxy and how excited are you about his move to MLS?