The catastrophic flooding that hit Oklahoma, Texas and North Mexico this week meant there were doubts the game would go ahead but earlier in the day on Thursday it was confirmed the match would be played.
Only for the game to be called off after officials deemed the surface at BBVA Compass Stadium unplayable.
Speaking of the decision Manchester City boss Manuel Pellegrini said: “We are bitterly disappointed for our fans, and for those of Houston Dynamo, that the match has been cancelled.
“We had travelled to Houston from Toronto in anticipation of a great game of football and we recognise many fans have also travelled long distances.Embed from Getty Images
“We thank the entire Houston Dynamo team for their efforts in preparing for the match and regret that the game could not be played.”
City beat Toronto FC 1-0 on Wednesday night in Canada but their second game in as many games could not go ahead and Houston must now look for another opponent to play in the game at a rescheduled date.
“We will start the process for trying to find a replacement for Man City in the Dynamo Charities Cup match and as soon as we can get an opponent and a date we will announce it,” Dynamo president Chris Canetti told MLSsoccer.com.
The Dynamo travel to New York City on Saturday evening and will be looking to pick up a third win in four games.