The opening weekend of the 2016 Major League Soccer season is upon us, so here is a look at a few stats to be aware of ahead of what should be an excellent evening of MLS action.
Sunday 6th March
New York Red Bulls vs Toronto FC – (18:30 GMT)
- New York Red Bulls are unbeaten against Toronto FC in their last eight home matches against the Canadian side.
- Including the playoffs, New York Red Bulls have won 11 of their last 12 at Red Bull Arena.
- On the other hand, Toronto FC haven’t won on the road in MLS since 4th July, a total of nine away fixtures.
For more information read our New York Red Bulls vs Toronto FC Match Preview.
Orlando City vs Real Salt Lake – (19:00 GMT)
- Orlando City finished the 2015 MLS Season on a six-game unbeaten streak, with four wins and two draws.
- Real Salt Lake finished the 2015 MLS season on a three-game losing streak, managing just one goal in the process.
- However, Real Salt Lake are unbeaten in six consecutive MLS opening games, with five wins and one draw.
For more information read our Orlando City vs Real Salt Lake Match Preview.
Chicago Fire vs New York City FC – (19:00 GMT) – Live on Sky Sports 1
- Chicago Fire lost seven of their last eight matches in the 2015 season, winning the other.
- New York City FC won only once in their last eight away games of last season, losing six of them.
- Chicago haven’t won on the opening day for the last six seasons, as they’be endured four losses and two draws.
For more information read our Chicago Fire vs New York City FC Match Preview.
FC Dallas vs Philadelphia Union – (20:00 GMT)
- Philadelphia have never beaten FC Dallas in Major League Soccer.
- FC Dallas have won four season openers in MLS in a row.
- FC Dallas won the most matches at home in MLS last season, with a total of 13 out of 17.
For more information read our FC Dallas vs Philadelphia Union Match Preview.
Houston Dynamo vs New England Revolution – (20:00 GMT)
- Houston Dynamo have lost to the New England Revolution on three consecutive occasions – run that started in April 2014.
- Houston Dynamo have lost just once in their last ten home matches in MLS, with seven wins and two draws.
- New England Revolution conceded 35 times on the road last season – their worst away defensive record since 1998.
For more information read our Houston Dynamo vs New England Revolution Match Preview.
San Jose Earthquakes vs Colorado Rapids – (20:00 GMT)
- San Jose Earthquakes are unbeaten in 12 consecutive matches against the Colorado Rapids, winning six and drawing six.
- San Jose haven’t conceded at home against the Colorado Rapids since May 2013.
- Colorado Rapids have lost four of their last five away matches in MLS, winning the other.
For more information read our San Jose Earthquakes vs Colorado Rapids Match Preview.
Portland Timbers vs Columbus Crew – (21:30 GMT) – Live on Sky Sports 1
- Including the MLS Cup Final last year, Portland Timbers are unbeaten in their last three matches against Columbus Crew.
- Including the postseason, Portland Timbers are unbeaten in their last nine consecutive MLS matches, winning six and drawing three.
- Columbus Crew won five of their last six 2015 MLS regular season games.
For more information read our Portland Timbers vs Columbus Crew Match Preview.
Vancouver Whitecaps vs Montreal Impact – (22:30 GMT)
- Vancouver had the joint best defence in Major League Soccer in 2015, conceding only 36 goals.
- Montreal Impact won their final two matches away from home in the regular season last term but lost nine of the 15 previous road trips.
- Octavio Rivero was the Whitecaps’ leading goalscorer with ten last season. He is only the fourth player in Whitecaps history to reach double-digits in a single season.
For more information read our Vancouver Whitecaps vs Montreal Impact Match Preview.
Monday 7th March (UK Time)
Seattle Sounders vs Sporting Kansas City – (00:00 GMT)
- Seattle Sounders haven’t won against Sporting Kansas City in their last three attempts, drawing twice and losing once.
- At home, Sounders are undefeated in all four MLS matches against Sporting Kansas City, winning twice and drawing twice.
- Seattle are unbeaten in their last seven MLS outings. They’ve won six of those seven, drawing the other.
For more information read our Seattle Sounders vs Sporting Kansas City Match Preview.
LA Galaxy vs DC United – (03:00 GMT)
- DC have only won once in their last eleven matches against LA Galaxy, drawing five and losing the other five.
- LA are unbeaten in their last eight home matches against DC United, recording four wins and four draws.
- DC United only managed to score nine away goals in the regular season in 2015 – a league low for the season.
For more information read our LA Galaxy vs DC United Match Preview.
What are you most looking forward to on the opening day of the 2016 MLS season?